Cecilia Fourie is one of Cape Town’s leading makeup artists and hair stylists. Highly respected and with 10 years experience in the wedding industry, she has helped many brides’ dreams come true!
Cecilia has shared her top six secrets to long lasting makeup application with us. It is all about taking the time to prepare your ‘canvas’ (who doesn’t like some extra pampering?!) and as a result getting so much more out of your makeup. You don’t have to be a professional makeup artist to look your best every day!
Step 1: Mask
Face masks are the perfect skin care treatment to help with your skin care concerns. The right face mask can help hydrate skin, remove excess oils and help improve the appearance of your pores. They’re also an excellent way to help pull out impurities.
NOTE: This step is not essential, only if you feel your skin needs a boost. Any hydrating mask that is quickly absorbed by massaging it into the skin would be a good option to add to your skin care kit.
Step 2: Exfoliate & Hydrate
Exfoliation increases cell turnover. In addition to increasing circulation, exfoliation can also help boost your skin’s overall radiance. It helps cell turnover so the skin “looks glowing”. This means that the skin keeps fresh, healthy cells at the surface, and removes dead, dry or dying ones.
NOTE: This step is necessary on Dry/Dehydrated skin to prep and hydrate skin for makeup application.
Step 3: Moisturize
Some benefits of moisturising your face daily include: Softer, smoother and glowing skin. Reduction of appearance of fine lines and dry spots. Nourishment of the skin with a protective layer to act as a barrier against pollutants. Youthful looking and more supple skin. The earlier you start moisturising and caring for your skin consistently, the more benefits you will accumulated over time.
NOTE: Choose a water based moisturiser which hydrates all skin types.
Step 4: Prime
Silicone / Gel / Liquid primers – Smashbox provides the largest variety of primers for each skin type and priming need.
Step 5: Makeup Application (see Cecilia’s makeup bag must haves below!)
- For a good full coverage foundation I recommend Dior Forever Glow. It’s lightweight, gives full coverage with a built-in primer and nourishes your skin at the same time. You can also create a full coverage foundation by adding a tinted moisturiser to your foundation.
- Use a 2in1 concealer/corrector for dark circles and more coverage under the eyes. Warmer toned colours are corrective concealers so make sure to choose one with a pinkier undertone.
- Choose a good mascara preferably with a priming conditioner. Priming your lashes protects them and enhances the mascara’s effect – creating more length and volume.
- Apply a coloured brow gel or any brow product of preference.
- Bronzer can be applied all over your face from winter to summer to create definition and depth and can double up as an eyeshadow.
- Get an eye shadow pallet with a minimum of four shades: a neutral matt, a medium matt, a darker colour and a shimmer colour.
- A shimmer brick can be used as a highlighter, blush and individually as eyeshadows.
- Apply a setting spray to help your makeup last longer throughout the day.
- Lipsticks: Choose one nude and one colour (such as coral, red and plum or whatever your preference is) to mix up your look from day to night.
- Invest in a set of six brushes for foundation, blush/powder, two eyeshadow blending brushes, an eye liner brush and a flat all over brush.
Step 6: Finishing Setting Makeup
One of the best ways to keep your makeup last all day or night is to keep your skin hydrated. An extra hydration boost is always a good idea if you have dry skin. Makeup setting sprays are not only mattifying, they can also add that dewy glow or help your makeup stay put while staying completely invisible.